Gerry died peacefully on July 8, 2017 surrounded by love. He was predeceased by his parents, Palmer and Anna (Gottfried) Norbraten, sister Mureen Oliver and brother in law Bob Oliver, Father and Mother in laws Stanley and Corinne Hall, and is survived by the love of his life, his wife Vivian, sons Garth (Greg Lichti), Erik (Jennifer Berg), daughter Corinne (Ken Hamilton), sister Verna Trapp (Ken), niece Darlene (Oliver) Stasiuk, nephews Greg and Jeff Trapp, by their families, and many special cousins.
Gerry was born November 10, 1931, in Swift Current SK, spending his childhood in Neudorf SK. He loved the out of doors and the changing of the seasons, sports of all kind, building and fixing things. He graduated from high school in Neudorf, attended Luther College in Regina for his first year of university, and Normal School in Moose Jaw. He taught Manual Training in Regina for two years, before attending the University of Manitoba, realizing his dream of becoming an Architect.
Gerry’s lifelong romance with Vivian Hall began in 1951, and they were married July 13, 1957. They lived in Winnipeg for Gerry’s thesis year, and returned to Regina in 1958 when Gerry joined Stock Ramsey Architects, later becoming a partner at Stock & Partners. Gerry was thrilled to welcome his first son, Garth, followed by daughter, Corinne, and son, Erik. He was a dedicated husband and father, volunteering as a Cub and Scout leader, hockey coach and manager, and attending almost every event his children, and Vivian, were part of. He loved the cottage at Echo Lake, commuting to work in the city during the summers.
In 1975 Gerry established G.I.Norbraten Architect Ltd. and was instrumental in the design and construction of the Shurniak Gallery, The Prince of Wales Cultural and Recreational Centre in Assiniboia, Broadway Terrace, Sherwood Place, renovations to both Luther College campuses, restorations of the No 1 Fire Hall, and Darke Hall, and many schools, nursing homes, and churches across the province. Gerry was a member of the Saskatchewan Association of Architects, and in 1999 was honored to become a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada.
Gerry lived a life of service. He was a charter member of Our Saviours Lutheran Church and a board member of the Regina Lutheran Home. He served for twenty years on the board of Regina Market Square, and for ten years on the boards of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, and Lutheran Life Insurance, enjoying the associated travel. He was a member of the Scandinavian Club, Assiniboia Lodge, the Wa Wa Shrine. Gerry was a Roughrider seasons ticket holder for thirty-seven years.
Gerry’s last four years were spent at Wascana Rehabilitation Centre. We will be forever grateful for the compassionate and gentle care in unit 3 – 5, and, especially, in unit 3-3, and for the dear and devoted friends, old and new, who were endlessly kind to both Gerry and Vivian.
A service honoring Gerry, and celebrating his life, will be held at Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church (190 Massey Road, Regina), on Wednesday, July 12, at 11:00AM.